Paul Shen, Joana Ricou, Jet Townsend
Installation: The installation is in a darkened area where 50-100 LEDs appear to float. The installation hangs from a suspended PVC square frame.When visitors observe from afar the installation will pulse in synchronicity. If a visitor approaches, they will disturb nearby LEDs. The lights will eventually synchronize again.
Input: Presence of visitors.
Blackbox: The presence of visitors will disturb the pulsing pattern of nearby LEDs. Individual LEDs use consensus to synchronize their blinking.
Output: an increasingly synchronized pulsing.
- prototype of 13 LEDs
- deliver sketch of algorithm
- decide on appearance
- decide on sensors: presence
- material list
- PVC pipe + paint: lowe’s/home depot
- conductive thread or wire: already have
- 1 or more arduinos: already have
- LED drivers / shift registers / multiplexors: already have
- PIR Sensor (http://www.futurlec.com/PIR_Sensors.shtml)
- how many LEDs?
- size of the external structure of the LEDs?
- what will it do when no-one is close? (Can it reset itself?)
- does it respond to motion or presence? Ie. will it re-synch if people stand close but still?
- if someone stands close to an LED cluster could those stay on?